04. Papercraft: Research

 Light Boxes


For my papercraft choice, I decided to go with light boxes, and the artists shown in the article were Deepti Nair and Harikrishnan Panicker, also known as Hari & Deepti, whose work recently appeared at SCOPE New York through Black Book Gallery. The light boxes are made of cut paper, beginning with layers of precisely cut watercolor paper that are placed inside shadow boxes and illuminated by LED strips. Hari and Deepti enjoy having their light boxes tell a story by incorporating elements like stars, flames, and fireflies. What I found most interesting was their view of paper as "brutal in its simplicity as a medium" in the sense that paper is flexible in nature, especially in the hands of an artist, as it can be molded and shaped to create intricate shapes or illusions that go beyond what the eye can see.




I have a couple of light boxes, so the concept isn't new to me, but it's also not something I've looked into extensively previously. Looking over the photographs in the post, the first thing I noticed was the contrast between the lit and unlit versions of these light boxes. The unlit box appears quite simple and uncomplicated until it is illuminated and you begin to notice things you didn't before, such as gaps in the backdrop that transform into stars or unsuspected areas that turn out to be fire. Overall, my first opinion of these is that they look entertaining and take full advantage of perspective, which I enjoy, but I also see unlimited possibilities as they become more intricate.




This is some more of their work that I saw in a different article, and they appear to be more sophisticated not only in terms of shapes but also in terms of how they interact with lighting. I was already curious to see what kinds of effects you might achieve by concentrating the light source in specific regions, which they do quite well. On that point, I'm curious what it would look like if you used different colored lights and paper and what types of effects you might get. I was also reminded of two light boxes I have that work slightly differently than these, with one not relying on multiple layers to reveal what is behind but instead having the lights illuminate different objects onto a single wallpaper, and another where the light does not change what you see but rather adds to it by creating a glowing effect on the subject matter.





As I previously stated, my motivation for selecting the light boxes is that I already had some and was planning to create one of my own because I liked the ones I purchased so much. Another reason is that, of all the papercraft things, the usefulness and potential associated with light boxes piqued my interest the most. Now that I've seen three various approaches to constructing light boxes, I'm excited to see what I can come up with using what I've learned.




Citations:

Jobson, Christopher. “Backlit Paper Sculptures by Hari & Deepti.” Colossal, 14 Apr. 2023, www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/09/new-backlit-paper-sculptures-by-hari-deepti/. Accessed 06 Feb. 2024. 
Jobson, Christopher. “Enchanting New Light Box Dioramas by Hari & Deepti Tell Stories of Exploration, Travel and Adventure.” Colossal, 14 Apr. 2023, www.thisiscolossal.com/2015/09/hari-and-deepti/. Accessed 06 Feb. 2024. 
Jobson, Christopher. “Illuminated Cut Paper Light Boxes by Hari & Deepti.” Colossal, 14 Apr. 2023, www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/03/illuminated-cut-paper-light-boxes-by-hari-deepti/. Accessed 06 Feb. 2024. 

My House From Last Week: 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11. 3D Printed Hollow Form Object: The Hybrid

02. Mesh Mashup: Concept Generation

01. Objectified: Response