09. Papercraft Objects: Final Revision

My VHS Tape Light Box.

This is the final version of the VHS Tape Lightbox that I have created. By gaining knowledge from the prototypes that came before, I was able to address the most significant issues and produce a product that was satisfactory in the end. Due to the fact that I had never dealt with LED strips before, I was equally concerned with the actual interior design as well as the LED lights. This was in contrast to the situation with the products. 


Following the completion of the tape itself, I began to concentrate on the design, which I initially worked on in Illustrator but later transferred to Rhino, where I completed it. When the designs wouldn't fit in the box, regardless of the dimensions I had predicted based on the rhino drawings, I did experience some warping.


I also ran into an issue with transporting my designs as they took a lot of damage. This led to a lot of re-printing and designing. The best way I found to fix this was either using extra paper to reinforce the objects or just laser cutting again but with more durable paper instead.

Below are the LED lights. For these, I needed help to code and put them together due to the fact that it was my first time working with LEDs. With help from Bryan, I was able to put together the last pieces and finalize everything. I was also able to reprint my designs on stronger material, which held up great. As a final addition, I used some of the leftover paper to give the tape more color and pop.




Though things went really well in the end, there were still some downsides, as I did have to use liquid glue as none of my glue sticks held up well, which ended in some warping and smudging. I did end up really liking this, though, because it gave the VHS tape a more worn-out look, which I initially did not know how to achieve with just paper, so I purposefully added more glue to the cleaner sections. I also had to use hot glue to stick the LED strip to the back piece of the tape as well as to keep the inner designs from moving around. Overall, this was a great experience that helped me conceptually understand more about object design as well as the unexpected capabilities of paper. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11. 3D Printed Hollow Form Object: The Hybrid

02. Mesh Mashup: Concept Generation

01. Objectified: Response