05. Papercraft Objects: Digital Samples

 My Digital Samples

So, for this part of the project, we had to develop 3D shapes to get us started on thinking about what we wanted our products to look like and getting acquainted with drawing the objects in Rhino first so that we could easily translate them into real life. This got me thinking about what I was going to create, as I do not have to only make an object that is close to me but also put it in the context of a lightbox while still having it look nice. This is a big part of why I have not come to a conclusion yet, but I was able to start thinking about how I could design the lightbox itself, as you will see throughout the screenshots.


This was just kind of me practicing and trying out different shapes and objects to see how they would unfold and familiarize myself with the different functions.


This was my first attempt at making something that resembled a lightbox, and I wanted to start with the basic shape first because it would help me understand what unfolding it would be like, especially with the more complex it got.


For this one, I was trying out the idea of using ridges to create depth within the lightbox and really seeing how they would fit and unfold.


Here I was playing with the idea of having the outer shell have a different shape from conventional light boxes, and it would also qualify as an object that is close to me as I've been a movie addict since I was an infant back when we still used VHS tapes (lol). One idea I have for this is to make the inside of the lightbox look like the inside of an old TV, which I think would be pretty cool.


This is again me just kind of trying out stuff and messing with how the cut-outs could look and how I can add more depth to the piece.

Now I finally start to actually think about what I want the final design to look like and how I could place my lights to get different effects. The hardest part was unfolding the boxes themselves, which I don't think I would have been able to do without the earlier practice.


These are some cutouts in order to have a basic representation of how I am going to lay them out and see what they would actually look like in real life to give me an idea of how I will do the final design.


This is where I kind of ran out of ideas, so I went back to the basics by working on my unfolding skills and also playing around with the idea of having to put together two pieces to make one object and how having tabs could help with that process.

Note: I have two unfolded designs with all my forms because I wanted to compare the looks between just using the unroll function and me doing the unfolding myself. I also noticed some overlaps when using the unroll function.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11. 3D Printed Hollow Form Object: The Hybrid

02. Mesh Mashup: Concept Generation

01. Objectified: Response